Friday, February 17, 2017

Summer Sewing

Last summer I made two of the cutest dresses and for whatever reason, I never posted them. I love both of these dresses so much and can't wait for another opportunity to wear them. I made them both for a trip we took to Montauk for a good friend's wedding. My pictures aren't the best, but I still wanted to post.
 
Pink Gingham. You may remember I was obsessing over this style dress last year in this post. I ended up trying on the dress in Nordstrom and tracing the top onto a piece of paper in the dressing room. I knew I would never find a sewing pattern and needed a place to start. My mom helped me draft a pattern and I used a pattern I already had for the skirt.



This is the only picture I have from wearing it and it was too dark to edit the image properly.
 
Blue Stripe dress - I've had this fabric for a long time. It's really beautiful fabric! I even have a couple yards of black and white that I'm waiting on the right project to use. I decided to use the blue for this dress because I thought the pattern would be easy to match up the stripes. Matching patterns is harder than you may think. I used McCalls M7162 for the top, but had to add additional darts to make it fit correctly. Thank goodness for my mom, or I never would have been able to make it fit.






 
 I wore this to the wedding rehearsal.

 
So happy my mom came to the rescue and helped me finish both of these dresses, literally the day before we left. I couldn't have done it without her! Hopefully someday I'll have learned enough lessons to successfully sew and alter without having to ask her a million questions. Thanks mom!

1 comment:

Amanda aka Manda said...

I remember both of these dresses. They were so pretty! I didn't realize you made them!