Friday, April 12, 2013

Black and White

Beyoncé wore this Osman Yousefzada jumpsuit to the Grammys earlier this year and it gave me the idea to make this black and white dress.
 
I posted this on Instagram a few weeks ago before I finished it, as you can see by the hem. Someone suggested I take a picture in the dress.  I haven't actually worn it yet but, I might wear it to a wedding this summer.

This is a super grainy selfie. What do you think of these shoes? Too much black and white?
 
Sewing details:
 
I used Cynthia Rowley 1873 (B) for the top part of the dress. Instead of cutting the front piece on the fold, I cut one in black and one in white then sewed them together to form a full front piece. I lined the top in white.
 
I have been searching for a tulip skirt pattern with a gathered waist and tapered skirt. I ended up using Cynthia Rowley 2512 pattern for the skirt. I omitted the waistband from the pattern. I made the pockets in the contrasting white. I couldn't get a good picture of that though. It was an excellent pattern to work with and I will definitely use it again. I might need to make the skirt a tad bit longer. I had to hem it 1/4 inch because otherwise it would have been too short.
 
I used a stretch cotton satin fabric and cut the pattern in a size smaller due to stretching. It fits perfectly!

 

No comments: