Friday, March 22, 2013

Comparison

"Facebook and Google have given us handy-dandy ways to check in on – and yeah, sometimes even obsess over – everyone from ex-boyfriends to frenemies to that girl who beat you out for that job you really wanted. But – and this is a big “but” – it’s important to remember that 99% of the time what you’re seeing is anextremely sanitized version of reality that has been presented for public consumption. And that’s not slighting anyone, not at all; it’s just the nature of social media: most people put up photos or status updates that speak to the things that they’re proud of or excited about. And so when you decide to check out what’s going on with someone who used to be in your life and isn’t anymore it’s very easy to slide into a pit of wondering what could have been…if only because man, what they’re up to looks so great."


I took this from Jordan Reid of Ramshackle Glam. This was in reference to something else, but it resonates with me as I feel sometimes social media contributes to such unnecessary feelings of jealousy and envy. It's important to remember, that as Jordan says everyone presents themselves in the highest of light to the public. Do you think I post pictures of myself where my arm is squished against my side all chubby like? Or tell the world how mad I am at Dan for not taking the trash out? Of course not, because I want to appear skinnier that I am (duh) and always happy just like everyone else.


So next time you get those feelings, talk yourself down and remember everyone has their own struggles and problems they just don't publicize them.


"Comparison is the thief of joy" - Theodore Roosevelt

1 comment:

Amanda aka Manda said...

Thank you for sharing this! I needed to read this!