Friday, January 4, 2013

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

I've been sick and when I saw this soup posted on Chassity's year end recap as the "best recipe" I knew I had to make it. It took me a few days to track all the ingredients down, but I finally made it and I have to agree, it's a chart topper!

This recipe is taken from Jenna at Eat Live Run

Read my notes below recipe for extra help.

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/4th tsp salt
6 cups chicken broth
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
3 green onions, sliced
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 baby bok choy, chopped
5 oz chinese noodles (about half a package)
sriracha sauce for serving (optional)
chopped cilantro for serving (optional)

Directions:
-Heat the sesame oil over medium high heat in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot.

-Add the minced garlic and ginger and briefly saute for about 30 seconds.

-Add the chicken and bok choy, sprinkle with salt, and saute for another three minutes
until chicken has turned white but not completely cooked all the way through.

-Add the chicken broth, jalapeno and green onions to the pot and bring to a simmer.
 cook for 15 minutes until chicken is done.

-Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

-Add the rice vinegar and soy sauce and stir.

-Add the noodles to the pot and serve with chopped cilantro and sriracha sauce on the side.


***MY NOTES***
-I could not find Chinese noodles and used about 1/3 of a box of thin spaghetti instead.
-This turned out to be so hot that I couldn't even add the Sriracha sauce.
I would recommend removing the seeds from the jalapeno to lessen the heat.
-To mince ginger, carefully cut outside peel off and chop into tiny pieces.
-Bok choy can be found in the produce section of your grocery store near the lettuce and fresh herbs.
-To chop bok choy, start on the white end (similar to celery) continuing to the green leafy end. Use all.

I had never cooked with fresh ginger or bok choy before and I had a few questions, that may seem silly to you,
but for others click the links for extra help!

Enjoy!



1 comment:

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Ah Im so glad you tried it. Love that soup.

PS, obvs behind on your blog. oops.