Sunday, February 12, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes


I made these cupcakes tonight using a box mix and a few additional ingredients. Pretty tasty and festive for Valentines day! I think my coworkers will be pleased tomorrow!

My original idea was to use my mini cupcake pans, but the liners I bought were too small.

Please note (*) denotes ingredients not on package mix. Different brand mixes may call for slightly different amounts so adjust according to the directions on your box.

Red Velvet Cupcakes


Ingredients:

Red Velvet Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
3 eggs
1 cup water
*1/3 cup applesauce (mix calls for 1/3 c oil)
*1 cup sour cream
*1 package of vanilla instant pudding
*1 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions: 
Stir cake mix and instant pudding together in a large bowl. Add eggs, water, applesauce, and sour cream.  Mix with mixer for 2 minutes on medium. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Fill cupcake pans 3/4 of the way full. Bake 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes. If making mini cupcakes bake 325 degrees for 18 minutes.

I just used store bought cream cheese icing and decorated with a few mini chocolate chips.

Enjoy! Happy Valentines Day!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Aww, I was going to make red velvet cupcakes for my co-workers, too! I didn't get a chance though because I've been sick. I didn't think they'd appreciate a sick person making food for them. lol Yours look like they turned out great! Homemade icing, too? You're brave!