Friday, January 27, 2012

Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs

I don't know why I don't make spaghetti more often because it is SO easy! Pasta + Jar of sauce = dinner. I have never made meatballs and when I saw this recipe I thought it looked easy enough and healthy too!

I'm glad I tried this recipe and plan to keep this one forever!

Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs
Ingredients:
1 large egg beaten
3 Tbsp nonfat milk
1/4 c Italian bread crumbs
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
1lb ground turkey
Salt
Pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 lb whole wheat spaghetti
Basil to garnish

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
-Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
-In a medium bowl combine the egg with milk, bread crumbs, parmesan, red pepper and S&P to taste. Mix well.
-Add turkey to the bowl. Use your hands to mix all together. It gets messy. I suggest removing rings.
-Shape turkey into balls about the size of a golf ball. Makes about 24 balls. Place about 1 inch apart on baking sheet
-Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, Flip balls and cook for another 5 minutes until brown on top.
-While balls are in oven, heat jar of marinara over medium heat and start boiling water for spaghetti.
-Once meatballs are cooked add them to marinara sauce.
-Cook spaghetti according to package. Drain and add to sauce.
-Garnish with Basil

Enjoy!


**I have to admit I ran out of whole wheat pasta, so this picture is just plain spaghetti. 

No comments: